Samantha - Dresher, Pennsylvania

I believe in laughter. Laughter all the time. I believe laughter is a main key in life. Laughter has helped me get through a lot; it has also helped many other people that I know get through many things. Laughter is something that makes you forget about a bad day or forget about something bad that has recently happened. For example, when I found out that my grandfather died, my family and I missed him so much and we were so upset. We thought back about all the funny times we had shared together. Those fun times were cherished and while I thought back about time I spent with my grandfather, I started laughing. My grandfather and I had so much fun together and every time I went to go visit with him, we would always share some laughs. Laughter lets you know that life doesn’t always have to be so serious.

Being able to laugh at yourself and with others is a big ingredient to a healthy life. I cannot go one day without laughing. It is just a part of my daily routine. This sounds silly, but I love to laugh! Believe it or not, laughter is good for your heart. Laughing opens blood vessels so blood is able to flow thoroughly through the heart. Along with many other people, I agree that laughing helps brighten people’s days and it has the power to push all bad things away that are happening in people’s lives. I do believe that there comes a time when it is inappropriate to laugh. For example- If you were attending a funeral and a family member made a funny face during the memorial service, it wouldn’t be the right thing to do to break down giggling.

When people ask me what I look for in a friend, the first thing that comes out of my mouth is, “They would have to have a good sense of humor.” In my opinion, if someone doesn’t have a sense of humor, they are truly boring people. My favorite thing to do is laugh with friends and if I am not able to do so, they are not “my kind of friend.” When you have the kind of sense of humor that I have, you try to make a joke out of almost anything and you just like seeing people laugh. Almost anything makes me laugh; a funny face, a funny noise, an episode of the Sarah Silverman Program, even seeing someone making a fool of them self makes me smile or laugh a little bit. Because I love to laugh and I laugh so much, being able to laugh comes easy to me. My mom always says that after a long day at work, her favorite sound is hearing my siblings and I cracking up and giggling together. Laughter is an expression of amusement according to a dictionary but in my opinion, laughter is simply a cackle or a giggle that seeps out of someone’s mouth when something humorous occurs. Laughing is contagious! It is a good thing- never a bad thing, and in some ways, I believe that laughter can be treated as a privilege. Laughter can be treated as a privilege because you could be in a really embarrassing or bad situation, but you could still have the strength to laugh off your mistake and keep going. Laughter brings a smile to everyone’s face, even if you aren’t the victim that is being tickled to death. My day gets better and better when I see someone laughing or when I make someone laugh. Laughter makes life worth living, and if laughter didn’t ever exist, I am not so sure I would want to either.