Self Reliance

Eryn - Jenkintown, Pennsylvania

You cannot rely on anyone else. It is just you against the world. My dad always told me, “you cannot be held up by someone when you are out in the world. You cannot have another person hold you up when I am not here.” I always thought that that was a harsh thing to say. But now, I understand. I might still be in my teen years, but I am thinking about my future more. How in college, I will not have my parents to be there with me. They will not be there to look out for me, to give me money when I need to get supplies or clothes. They will not be there when I am on my own. There will be no one out there for me when I might need them most. But I know I will find a way to get through because I learned a lesson that many others let pass by them.

The people that never learned the lesson are the people who are relying on another person. They are the people who are living the hard, hard life. Those people need the loans. They are the people who are sitting on the road waiting for someone to come help them. They are the people who spend too much money; the money that they do not have. They are the people who got dumped by someone they thought they could trust. The people who need money are the people that they thought they had it good, until they found out that they are alone in this world, that the person that had loved them left them hanging onto nothing at all. There was a trust that someone had giving out, a trust that someone never thought could be broken. Then it was. Those are the people who have it bad.

Some people need another person to rely on and that that is a bad choice. There can be a person at your side, but never someone there to hold you up for money sake. There should never be a person who is in front or behind you, there is only someone beside you. They should not be there to support you financially. When you want somebody or need somebody, it should be someone who is there for your love. Someone to hold you up when you are sad. Someone who loves you and you love them back, not someone to buy you things that you need and want. That is your job, to hold yourself up. No one can give you everything that you want. You need to be able to make a living for yourself. There will not always be a man by your side. Some people just leave you hanging on your own. They will not look back at you, and then you will regret that you ever were with them. And you will finally understand that you are truly lost and alone in this world.

I believe this because I do not want to be the person who is sitting on the curb, waiting for him to come back and help me up again. Waiting for him to help me out again, and again, and again… I do not want to be that person who is let down. I do not want to be that person with no options left for me because he is gone and he does not want to come back. I do not want to be the person who gets let down ever time I think someone is going to be there for me. I do not want to be that person and I never will. This I believe.