Lower the drinking age

Ely - Elkins Park, Pennsylvania

I believe that the drinking age should be lowered to 18. The government thinks that it is making things better by having changed the law but it hasn’t; it is making things worse. Now kids get in trouble and try to abuse alcohol when they can. It thinks the rule will stop kids from drinking but I think the saying, “Rules are meant to be broken.” fits in very nicely here because a rule that does not make sense, is probably going to get broken.

How the government can let eighteen year olds vote and yet, not let them drink a beer at dinner is outrageous. It isn’t fair. I think that if it can trust them to make a decision that will affect the entire nation, then it can trust them to make decisions that affects themselves. It is also willing to send them off to war but when they get home they are not allowed to have a beer with missed family and friends. It gives them the ability to get killed in an instant in battle but doesn’t give them the choice to kill ourselves over years and years of abuse, which does not apply to everyone that drinks.

Abusers have always been around and they always will. No law is going to change to stop abusers. Although there are many abusers, most of them are not young; they are old and they are usually dealing with personal issues that they cannot overcome. Kids feel that when they get the chance to drink, it will be there only chance so they drink as much as they can. If the drinking age were lowered, on the other hand, kids would not feel pressured to have to get drunk and finish off all of the beer. There would be fewer drinking parties because people will be allowed to get alcohol anywhere, not just at that house.

Many other countries, such as England and Ireland, either have the drinking age at eighteen, or do not even have a drinking age. If they were having a drinking crisis and everyone was abusing it then they would change things, but they have not. There is no drinking epidemic in all of the countries that the drinking age is lower than ours so why does ours still have to stay at twenty one?

The government should at least try out lowering the drinking age to eighteen and see what the results are. It could even pass a law about purchasing alcohol, that you have to be a certain age to buy it, and eighteen to drink. If it feels as though the laws are not working then the age you can drink at can go back to twenty one, but until then, the drinking age needs to be changed.