One Big Smile

Daniel - Doylestown, Pennsylvania

I love smiling. It’s an awesome feeling when you are in such a good mood or are laughing so hard, you have to put effort in trying to control your grin. It makes me feel so alive. The feeling of being happy really lifts you up and makes everyone around you feel the same way. I believe that feeling happy is key to being successful. When people are surrounded and immersed in the happy Zen, you feel more productive and social. I think that the bigger the smile, the happier you are. Of course there are fake smiles, but you can easily pick those out of the crowds. But to me, a smile is a sign of being happy. As part of my belief, I like to put smiles on faces.

I like to consider myself as a crowd pleaser. Whatever I can do to get a smile on peoples face or a higher pitch in their voice, makes me feel much rewarded. It’s the same concept like trying to stop a little kid from crying. When I was in about 6th grade, I used to be a counselor in training at my school’s summer camp. They had a really awesome moon bounce which all the kids loved, and we would all usually go in there every afternoon. I remember one particular time where everyone was having a blast jumping up and down this moon bounce except this one kid. He would sit in the corner of the moon bounce and cross his arms, pouting. I walked up to him and started jumping up and down making a fool of myself. It took some time, but I finally got him to change his face and be part of the group. It makes me very rewarded to know I put that smile on him.

My secret mission in life is to rule the world with big smiles. I think if that happens, all our troubles will be gone. It might not fix world hunger, but it sure will bring us one big step further towards worldwide peace. Think about it. You are walking down the busy streets of New York, or in the hot sticky areas of Mexico, one smile can bring so much. Its one big universal gesture we all know, one sign that says everything will be alright, and one emotion that shows it’s good to be alive. As cliché it might sound, we can conquer the world with smiles. My final message is plain and simple. Next time you are walking around next to people, pass the smile along, and I almost guarantee you, you’ll get one in return. This, I believe.