happily ever after

Ashleigh - Denton, North Carolina

I believe in happily ever after.

When I was six the world was perfect. People were good, money didn’t matter, and a happy meal brightened my day. I could spend all day on the playground with my friends and the silliest things would make me laugh. I jumped on my trampoline with my little brother until it was too dark to see. My favorite food was green mint chip ice cream and I wanted nothing more than to eat it for every meal. Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, and Ariel stole my heart. As a child I saw only good in the world and was convinced that just like Cinderella, I was going to live happily ever after.

My middle school years consisted of arguments between friends, first real boyfriends, and first real breakups. It was my time of figuring out where I fit in and who I was. I was a people pleaser and did pretty much anything to make other people happy. Clothes and boys began to consume my thoughts and I didn’t see life as perfect anymore. My life was changing and I wasn’t sure that I liked it. With everything going on, I still held on to my childhood hopes of prince charming coming to sweep me off my feet so that we could live happily ever after.

Now that I am an adult I can look back on my past and see what it really was —life. There are ups and downs, tears and smiles, joy and pain. Life isn’t black and white it’s the million shades of gray that make you who you are. Things come and go and you’ll change your mind a million times, but with all the change you’ll learn and grow within yourself. I still believe in happily ever after, just not the Disney kind. My happily ever after will be standing in front of a classroom full of six year olds, and being able to make a difference in their lives. My happily ever after will be walking down the isle, not to prince charming but to the one person who never fails to make me smile. My happily ever after will be building a home and a family. Wherever my life leads me and whatever becomes of it, it will be my own happily ever after. Perfectly un-perfect ,which is just perfect for me.