I believe in Twilight

Chelsey - Salt Lake City, Utah

I believe in Twilight. Some of you might not know the story. So let me give you a quick summary. It’s about a vampire, Edward, who thirsts for the blood of the person he loves the most, Bella. He resists because he loves her. The thirst that Edward has is so strong that it burns him internally so much so it is the most difficult thing to control. And the thirst is specific to him; his brother and sister vampires don’t feel this thirst as strong as he does. The ideas and characters presented in this story exemplify the two sides of masochism. Good and bad.

I believe in the idea of masochism, which is the main idea of Twilight. The definition of masochism in the dictionary is “gratification gained from pain, deprivation, degradation, inflicted or imposed on oneself, either as a result of one’s own actions or the actions of others” Masochism is known to be a bad thing but some people over exaggerate the idea of masochism. This might sound wrong to you but from my view being completely and totally unselfish because of another person, although masochistic is an honorable thing. A person who will eternally commit to a life of pain so the one he loves can be safe whether physically or emotionally could be called a masochist by definition but is truly a good person.

Twilight is exactly this, Edward is tied to a life he didn’t choose and this life is extremely hard and extremely painful to turn ones back on. He chooses pain to be with the one he loves. I had said earlier that it is only totally unselfish only if it this someone is doing it for someone else. But Edward is doing it for both, so it’s half selfish. Edward is a masochist because he loves Bella, so his will to hurt himself is because of his needs, but at the same time he tried to tear himself away from her which seems unselfish, but that doesn’t work or we wouldn’t have a story. All of Edward’s family are vampires and they changed the way they live so people aren’t hurt. They suppress their thirst for human blood and hunt animals instead, which doesn’t seem as bad because humans also eat animals. The only difference is that humans eat the meat and these vampires drink the blood.

Edward is unselfish because he doesn’t enjoy hurting himself just because he enjoys hurting himself, but enjoys it if it keeps Bella safe. Bella is also a masochist with out knowing it. She ends up staying with Edward, this puts her in danger that one day might cause her potential pain. I had found a quote some one had written that made me understand why Bella is a masochist. “ Warning! Having a vampire boyfriend may be hazardous to your health! [Not that you care].” Our instincts tell us to run away from danger but she sticks around because she loves him.

In the beginning of the book Twilight the author states a quote from Genesis 2:17 “But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shall not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.” This represents the dilemma that Edward has between his immortality and the mortal he loves. And when he has made his decision what are the steps he has to make to keep Bella safe.

This book has opened up a new type of world for me. It has taught me to trust others and myself; I have learned to just do something because I want to, and not because others say I should do it or shouldn’t, now I understand that it’s ok to jump into something some thing with out knowing what will happen even if it is dangerous and most importantly that it’s ok and even honorable to be a masochist, but only the good kind.