Break my Bones

Shanell - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

When I was younger, I would always hear the sing-song echo throughout the pre-school playground, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!” My classmates and friends repeated the saying if they were being called a name during an dispute. Singing this chant among the playground, I never thought about how people’s feelings can be “hurt” and hearts can be “broken”; however, people in no way realize the upshot of words. The words you speak can have a profound effect on people you crossways with. This I believe, words really can hurt.

How many times have you heard this or mistakenly believed it in your mind when you were younger? Words can lift us up, drag us down, and heal our hearts. I learned that the hard way and wish I could take back my painful words. In March 2002, in 6th grade, I was at recess and had a gut feeling this day would be different or something was going to happen. A bunch of my friends was in the corner shouting names at this girl in our class that I really didn’t know; they were saying things like, “ugly, or you smell”. The little girl was yelling back, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!” In spite of her over sobbing voice as they continued to call her these names as I walked up. I joined in not thinking about the consequence that I had engaged in. She then began to cry in the corner and puddles of tears ran down her face dripping on her plaid jumper as she ran back inside the school building.

Being so young, I didn’t know how strong and powerful my words could be to bring somebody to tears. Later on, I apologized for my actions and realized that sticks and stones may break your bones but words will hurt you. I understand that sing-song chant was made to make people aware of the fact that they do have influence on how much pain words can cause to them.