Heather - Hopkinsville, Kentucky

This I believe without Grace we are nothing.

We all have a story. It’s a story that has made us who we are today. For me, my Grace came to me through the birth of my baby girl. I did not have the normal relationship with my mother. My mother did not have this either. My mother was an alcoholic and so was her mother. Do you see a pattern? God sees promise. He does not measure us by what our parents have done before us. He measures us by Grace. He has given us this Grace, by His Son, Jesus Christ.

I missed having my mother. As a teenager, even though I hated it, I started to repeat the same behavior. When I became a teenager, I moved in with my father. He has always been the rock in my life. Things were so much better there, but so much damage had already been done. I continued on my road of destruction for many years. I was an alcoholic, but I also used a few drugs: marijuana, LSD, and cocaine. My mother and I were often times estranged. She had become a Christian and gave up her wild ways. I was taking over where she left off. I knew that God was with me and one day I would call out to Him and he would put me back together.

When I became pregnant with my daughter, I was living in Florida with her father. We fought often. A few weeks before I found out I was pregnant; I quit everything, even smoking. I knew my life was going to change forever. As I sobered up, life started to look different. I started to look to God for answers and strength. I just prayed and prayed that I would be a great mother and would not repeat the same behavior of my mother and grandmother.

The day Grace was born was a new beginning. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. But, I took her home to an unhappy home. Her father became a stranger to us. He loved her but his lifestyle was not suitable for raising a child. After four months, it was over. God was leading me. I was scared, but all right.

Gracie and I moved home to Kentucky to be with my father. Before that, we spent a month in North Carolina with my best friend from high school .The first Sunday we were there we attended a church service. It was July 4th, Independence Day, 2004. I rededicated my life to the Lord that day. I always knew that I would.

After returning home to Kentucky, I learned what my salvation really meant. Salvation is God’s gift of Grace to us. Through his son Jesus, we are set free from our sin. I realized that God had chosen my daughter’s name. God’s Grace had set me free and Grace had led me home.