I Believe

Paul - west jordan, Utah
Themes: family, illness

I was 8 years old, I saw my dad cry for the first time. It was not a normal cry. It was the kind where you can tell the person is crying their heart out. When I saw this, I broke down as well not knowing what to think. My family and I were all in a hospital room that day, sad and praying, because we did not know what to do. My mom then told me to go into the waiting room and pray from what I learned in church class. So I went in there, dropped to my knees and prayed to God. I didn’t know what to do or say but I just talked and talked away. About 20 minutes later I came back from the waiting room and told my mom I was done. My uncle took me to my cousin’s house that night. I was quiet on the way and did not say a word until we arrived, then I went straight to bed.

The next morning my uncle picked me up and we went to the store. He grabbed a cart and filled it to the brim with toys, well over $300 dollars worth. I was happy because I thought for sure the toys were for me, we drove back to the hospital and when we arrived, my uncle gave the toys to a sick little boy. As soon as we gave him the toys, I saw his eyes light up with happiness. But soon that happiness turned to sadness because of how sick he was, and the doctors took him away to run some more tests. A little later the doctor said “The little boy has Pneumonia. There is an 80% chance he might not make it,” and the room went dead silent. My mom and dad left the room with tears in there eyes, and then my uncle took me home. Seconds turned into minutes, minutes into days, days into months, Pneumonia turned into Leukemia, and the little boy was still sick. Bills piled up, less home cooked meals, more hospital visits, more bad news.

Nine years have gone by and my little brother, the little boy that was sick, is almost 15 years old and does not have a sign of Leukemia in him. It is pretty amazing how one day you think the world is going to end, and the next you think to yourself, “Where has the time gone?” I know where mine went. It went to a family trying to stay together and not letting anything overcome them no matter what. I could not be more proud of my brother, who once was gasping and holding onto life and is now full of it.

everyone is put on Earth to be tested and my test was to find out what the real meaning of family is. It’s not just a mom and dad and a brother, its about everyone staying together. And overcoming the challenges in life itself.