Make the World a Better Place

Dave - South Jordan, Utah
Themes: golden rule

Make the World a Better Place

Last Friday a 34 year-old worker of Wal-Mart was trampled to death in New York by the rushing Black Friday crowds. This man was killed while he was there to assist and help others. I believe that people should live by the Golden Rule: do unto others as you would have done unto you.

This is a rule that I learned at an early age, but I am still trying to make it something I live by. When I was young and I would go crying to my mother because I had been fighting with my brothers or sisters her reply would often be, “if you would treat them as you would want to be treated then this wouldn’t happen.” Since that time I have tried to adopt this philosophy.

The perfect example of living the Golden Rule was Jesus Christ. He always treated those around him, as he would want to be treated. Although he was killed for the way he lived, he showed me how to treat others the right way when he declared, “love one another.” Isn’t that what the Golden Rule is really about? If we can learn to love each other then we will treat each other like Jesus Christ treated those around him.

I finally learned what loving others and the Golden Rule is about in an experience that I had a few weeks ago. I was driving down the road when I noticed an old man wearing a warm coat and a hat; he was sticking his thumb up in the air to get a ride. Something told me to pull over so I did and offered him a ride. We drove for about ten minutes until we reached the place where he needed to go. As we departed he said to me, “bless your soul. I hope that good things come to you.” Good things have come to me since that day. If I were in his situation I would have wanted someone to stop and offer me a ride so that I would not have to walk the five miles.

Giving that man a ride was a simple act, but I am sure that it made him happy that he did not have to walk and it also made me happy that I was able to go out of my way to help another human being.

As I have been trying to live this rule it has made me a much happier person. I try to look for the good in others, and as often as possible I avoid contention. This is one rule that would make the world a better place.