Unconditional Doesn’t Mean Unbelievable

Maxwell - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I believe in unconditional love. Love is defined as the unselfish, loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another. To stick by this definition and its true meaning the unconditional part must be included. Since I was a child my father has struggled with abuse of alcohol. I’m not sure what exactly goes on with him, because he closes himself off whenever approached about it. Unconditional love has turned me into the person I am today. I have learned that real love comes from within, it isn’t something we choose, or something you can buy, it is born in your heart and your mind.

I believe love can be true whether it is mutual or not. I have always loved my father and I always will, there has never been a time where my love has faded and I am thankful for that. My dad doesn’t always seem to love back. My family members have been hurt as well as me but seem to just let it go, I can’t stop caring. When I realized that my father needed help I put myself out on a limb and wrote him a letter giving him all the support I could. The letter told him I would go with him wherever it was we needed to go for him to get better. I placed the letter on his pillow. As the night passed thoughts ran through my mind of how he would react to it. In all honesty he didn’t react at all. I called him the next day and asked him if he read it, he said yes and then told me that he was busy and hung up.

My father’s addiction has become more than just a struggle to him; it has become a struggle for me. I have tried to help but am consistently denied. Missing out on a lot of time with my father has made me gain an excellent sense of family. As I grow I have begun to see what unconditional love is, and how I have had that for all of my loved ones throughout my entire life. Without my father going through this struggle and without me being raised in the same household as him, I wouldn’t want to grow up to be the best father possible. I see what I need to do, to become the best father I can, and to show my children what unconditional love truly is.

Everything happens for a reason and whether or not I have ever received unconditional love, I know that the reason I have given it to a number of people in my life is because of the household I was raised in. To have unconditional love for someone who has hurt you in the past, and is sure to hurt you in the future is the true meaning of unconditional and is almost unbelievable. I believe that everything happens for a reason, I believe in unconditional love.