Good guys

Jonathan - WEST JORDAN, Utah

I believe doing the right always pays off, even if the world tells you it doesn’t.

Good guys finish last, that is what we here from the world. Doing the right is hard and I believe that’s why people don’t like to do it. I always try to choose the right even if the situation isn’t a clear black or white issue.

I always disliked kids who give people and especially teachers a hard time, that’s why I always tried to be especially attentive and reverent whenever I was in school. I always tried to do my best to make other peoples life, a little less troublesome. If that meant service, and sacrifice, it was ok because I knew it was worth it.

One reason why I believe this is because of one fateful day after P.E in high school. The teacher a young, happy, athletic, Hispanic man told me to stay with him afterwards to help him collect the balls. I happily agreed and helped him collect the balls while all the other students went inside and changed. After we had collected the balls, he looked at me and asked me a question. “Why are you so different”? I was speechless, at the moment I didn’t comprehend exactly what he was asking. He went on to explain himself, “Why do you follow directions when everyone else does whatever they want”? “Why are you friends with loners when everyone else ignores them”? “Why do you act the way act”?

I didn’t know what answer he wanted, I just said I was raised that way. Then he asked my one last question that really surprised me, “do you go to church”? I was kinda caught off guard with that question, but I answered reluctantly “yep, every week since I was little”.

My P.E. teacher wasn’t surprised but was terribly interested in my beliefs and my standards.

I really felt happy that day, I felt like a small light in a world of darkness. I knew that my good deeds weren’t going unnoticed and they were making other people want to change also.

Some people make fun of me, that I am such a ‘goody two shoes’. It doesn’t bother me because those people have to make fun of people to make themselves feel good. It’s kind of like crabs in a bucket. Crabs will try to climb outside of the bucket but the crabs on the bottom will pull them down, so they can’t.

Do all ‘good guys’ get what they deserve, hardly. Most die with men and woman persecuting them and telling them they are extremists or worse but when all is said and done. ‘Good guys and girls’ leave a trail of hope, inspiration and love for all.