Catherine - West Jordan, Utah

I believe in a relationship with God. Martin Luther started the reform movement, which began as an attempt to reform the Catholic Church. In the Roman Catholic Church, people are told that anyone who is not a member of the Catholic Church cannot get right with God. They tell you that priests are your connection to God. In essence, this is a chain of helpers that you use to reach God. However, if these people are the only way to God, you do not have a personal relationship with God. Many Protestant churches believe that the members should have a relationship with god and not just a list of commands. As a protestant believer, this is what I believe.

In the Bible, it says, “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9) There are many people who follow a religion but do not have a relationship with God. This, to me, is a major downfall of the way Jesus Christ wanted us to live.

Up to a few years ago, I always thought that being a “being a good person” is what got you into heaven. But it is so much more than that. Yes, doing good deeds is part of what God wants us to do for him. But it’s all in vain if the only reason why someone is doing good works is to build up their spiritual resume. In the Bible, Jesus says, “Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you…’” (Matthew 7:21-23)

After knowing God personally, I am driven to help people. My relationship with God helps bring me closer to him and in turn makes me want to follow Jesus Christ’s teachings. My life has not been the same since I became a Christian. I have learned to be humble and realize that the things of this world are only temporary. I am more loving towards other people and I don’t want to live just for myself. Its not about me, its all about God.