Remedy for unfulfilled.

Jessica - Seminole, Oklahoma

Last summer due to a fractured fibula my doctor kept me from running. I wasn’t even able to run in cross country my senior year. This news came as a disappointment, but it didn’t hit me until I had to watch my teammates running without me. It was then that I realized I believe in running.

Watching my teammates, I became jealous. I was jealous, not of their praise, but of their pain. The pain and suffering the runner endures was something I had grown accustomed to and even loved. This pain allowed me to explore my own physical, as well as mental limits. Provocation of this pain helped me to explore my own tolerance and endurance. The absence of running made me realize the relief of stress I felt before. While running I only had to focus on the road ahead and the battles with my natural human sluggishness. Concentration on long runs let me forget my worries if only for a little while. With a feeling of relief, I conquered the steady obstacles of aches and pains my legs would deliver. Overcoming the pain gave me a feeling of accomplishment, knowing that on each run I had done what most people could not or would not do. Endorphins flowing from the pain behind me, I would feel as though I was on top of the world. These were such feelings I could get from nothing else.

For these reasons I am so grateful that I was blessed, somehow able to run cross country this year and to continue my running career. The doctor gave me release to run again, since I healed quickly. But, separation from running had renewed my love for it. Since then I believe in running. I believe that it should be a part of everyone’s life, as it cultivates the mind, building determination, endurance, and self-control. Running contributes to physical health, without which, a mind does not function to its best ability. For those weak-minded and dependent people of out modern, easy-going world, there is no better medicine than the loneliness and pain of the long-distance runner.