i believe in savoring the moment.

taryn - seminole, Oklahoma

How many times has an entire day slipped by, the orange and purple watercolors of the morning sky fading instantly to a tawny golden dusk before you realize it is gone? And how many times have you fathomed your small amount of time on this blue and green orb in the sky and realized you are not infinite? I have decided to use my time wisely, the life I live must be seen with the clarity of translucent eyes and felt by every sense I am equipped with, every moment too precious to watch spark and die. This is why I believe in savoring the moment.

In short, life is simply too beautiful to overlook. I remember looking up and seeing the complexity of the mangled branches that soar into the sky and stand silhouetted against the lavender and turquoise backdrop of a sinking sun; something almost too breathtaking to go unnoticed, yet regarded by many as just another aspect of a dying day. I have realized that if I let the intricate details of life dissipate then I have not taken full advantage and appreciated life to its fullest potential. Too easily I have discovered that vivid instances will diminish and fade into whitewashed memories, so now I savor the very essence of their happening. With the constantly ticking clocks and the glory of the world glowing all around me, I memorize every vapor in the air after rain, every laugh and every smile to cross my lips. By holding on to the moments that mean the most to me, I can attach their very significance to my memory and preserve the happiness it bestowed upon my life.

The days go by too fast. Memories must be captured like photographs in our minds and kept vivid and new, otherwise we lose the feelings they gave us. If I am too absent minded to grasp the beauty of the simplicity in the paint splatters of clouds across an electric blue sky, then what am I living for exactly? I still remember the feel of the chocolate brown coat of my first dog, back when I was three or four, soft and velveteen to the touch. Love and beauty and wonder all melted together, condensed into single flashes of memory. I must never disregard the “small things”. After all, who is to say the intricate details are minor aspects? Maybe I live to seek the beauty of life and the feelings it provokes, now as well as in the future. If we do not step back and breathe in the violet sunset, or taste the crystallized snowflakes, or listen to the laughter of a small joyous brother, then we are allowing these small yet significant moments to wither away.