Always Help the Little Guy

Billy - Winter Park, Florida

“So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you” –Matthew 7:12. This is not only a belief that is in many religions, but a belief that I hold true in my life. By believing in this it gives me a chance to stand up for the little guy. The “little guy” is not just the one that is physically being little, but it’s the one who is discriminated against, picked on, or ignored. When you help or befriend the little guy it makes him feel accepted and wanted. I hold this belief very close to my heart and express it every chance that I get.

When I was in the sixth grade and had just transferred to a new middle school, there was a kid who was being picked on because of his weight. I was the new kid so I didn’t immediately say anything. The second or third day that I was there the boy was still being picked on. Something that day pushed me over the edge, because this kid had no reason to be picked on at all. He was just minding his own business doing his work and trying to be a normal kid. I went up to the kids who were being mean to him and confronted them about it. I said that if they have anything mean to say to him there’s going to be a problem. It stopped that day, and never occurred for the rest of my time in middle school. The kid that was being picked on is now one of my closest friends. We played football together in high school and I would do anything for him.

A secondary benefit in helping someone out is later on in life the person might be able to help you when you are in need. In my circumstance, the boy that I helped in the sixth grade came out for the football team. He ended up blocking for me for my last two years of high school and helped me earn recognition from many colleges. He is also studying to be a dentist now. In helping him that day, I never realized what an impact I would have on his life and how much of one he would have on mine.

Befriending and sticking up for someone who is being victimized not only makes you feel good as a person, but makes them feel wanted and accepted. When you help them out it makes them feel like they have a friend in you and that they can count on you. My experiences with one of my best friends now is living proof of how much of an impact you can have on someone’s life by doing something as simple as sticking up for them. By helping someone who is less fortunate out you can inspire a change in the way people treat others. In doing so you start chain reactions that will help people open their eyes to see how some people are being treated.