I Believe in Fun

Scott - Virginia Beach, Virginia
Themes: pleasure

I Believe in Fun

I believe in having fun. Some might say that this is not a genuine idea and in some form everyone believes the same thing. I believe in a different type of fun, the type that drives you to be successful. I can put faith in myself not to continue something that I’m not enjoying. Why do something that you don’t enjoy? I have risked a lot to live by this principle even to the point of getting suspended from school to prove it to my peers.

In high school, I played in the marching band. I had enjoyed it up until my junior year when things began to change. My school hired a new director and with that came new rules. As an upperclassman, I had become accustomed to the band the way it was, and it was a very harsh transition to the new way of doing things. By mid-season I hated everything about the band. This new director had ruined the fun that I enjoyed as a member the band. In the years previous the band was not about winning and being competitive, but we believed that success would come if we were having fun and playing our music to the best of our ability. This couldn’t be further away from the new director’s attitude.

A few weeks later, a couple of friends and I set out to regain the fun that we once enjoyed. Our group had noticed that there was a kid in the band that was filming practices and conducting interviews with the band members, so we asked him if he would do one with us. We thought that this was our opportunity to vent about everything we disliked about the new director. For the first time all season we were all having fun. Everyone on our bus had a smile on their face. The guy ended up turning the tape over to the director and that was when the fun really started! The following practice the director came out to the field and read off a list of names, mine being included. Then he shouted that we had been kicked out of band and tomorrow being referred to the principle. At first we laughed it off and left practice in a good mood for once. The next day we all were suspended for a week! When we returned from the suspension, the director aloud us to rejoin the band, because he knew that the band couldn’t be great with out us.

He was right; after we came back the band had fun again, because we knew that the amount of trouble that we would get into could never top what had already happened. All of a sudden our performances were better, because we were enjoying what we were doing. Members of the band were thanking our group for standing up and reminding us how we were successful in the past. The band realized that success came only after we started having fun again.