Shane - Riverton,, Utah
Themes: family, pleasure

This I Believe: A family that hunts together stays together!!

Many people might read that and think I’m crazy, maybe weird, totally off my rocker, or that there is something totally wrong with me. But I don’t consider myself any of those things. I don’t say that a family that hunts together stays together because I think that a total blood bath and animal slaughter is what I live for and that makes a family like each other more. Even though I do think that it is fun when someone is able to harvest a nice deer, elk, or bear that’s not what I’m getting at. But what I mean by it is how close a family can draw to each other while spending time with each other doing something that they love.

My family is huge hunters, honestly we spend as much time as we can hunting during the months of August through November. This is something that we look forward to and wait for all year long. I start counting down days till next hunting season the day the previous hunting season ends. To me it doesn’t get any better than the cool weather the beautiful colors and spending time with the family in the wonderful outdoors. During hunting season we get to spend good quality time together, sitting around the camp fire hiking in deep canyons or along rolling hills. We cook together, we clean together, we tell stories, watch stars, and play games together. Sometimes we get lucky and somebody is able to harvest an animal and then we all work together to get it gutted, back to camp skinned out and the meat butchered. These are all things that draw us closer together. With all the hustle and bustle that is going on in the world even just in my own family between school, work, sports, and other activities we are always engaged in its so hard to spend good quality time with each other doing things that we all enjoy doing. But each year with the start of hunting season I know that we are going to be able to get away and spend time together doing things that draw us together as a family. I also believe that when a family is able to do things that bring them closer together it makes us a lot more likely to stay together and be a closer family and a more happy family. That is why I believe that a family that hunts together stays together. It can be anything too, it doesn’t have to be hunting to draw your family together that is just what it is in my family. Families need something to do to pull themselves away from everyday life and be able to spend time to each other doing something they enjoy. For me and my family its hunting. Find something for yours!