Do what you like

Quiana - Phila, Pennsylvania

“Do what you like to do.” That’s what people say to you your whole childhood. However, “Doing what you like” may be complicated. Most people attempt to have a career doing something they enjoy. Or they succeeded in there career because they started to enjoy what they are doing. For example, I am now twenty-three years old Cosmetologist I have been working at for eight years. Recently, I found out that my parents did not want me to pick “Hair” for my career. My parents were always supportive of my decisions; even the ones they did not agree with. Someone asked my mother why she didn’t try to convince me to do something else. My mother told them “She had a passion for it” I believe that if a person can follow their passion they will go far in life.

After doing some research passion had a new meaning to me. I found out that when a person has a passion for something they do a much better job at it. No, children should not do whatever they want. They just should be able to have enough space and time to find their passions. Furthermore a support system has to also be present. Some should be there to explain the youngsters that they should have follow they passion but, things might not as planned. .

When I was a child, it seemed as if work and fun were opposites. Life was contained of two parts, the times when you were doing something you did not to do and that was called “work”; the rest of the time you could do what you wanted, and that was called “play”. I thought those two could never collide. From a child I knew that was not the life I wanted. I knew I wanted to always enjoy my time at work.

Once, a child becomes nine or ten and people start to say “you can do what ever you want when you grow up” they take that and run with it. I am a prime of that. I am also an example that if a child is supported in everything they do they can be successful with their work experiences and their life. All my life I wanted to be a teacher but I still had a passion for hair and make-up. My parents supported me in all of my decisions, so I am not one of those people that hate getting up for work in the morning. I currently am in school to get my degree in education while working cosmetologist.

No matter if you are nine or ninety-nine you should do what you want. People that follow their dreams and keep pushing forward are successful. A job is something that may require work, hard labor, and toil. While if a person has a good support system they can take their passion and turn it into a career.