Money Can’t Buy True Happiness

Walter - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Money can’t buy true happiness.

I remember a time in my life when I was younger that I thought I needed all of the coolest things on the market to make me happy. I thought to myself that if I only had the newest clothes or the most recent video games then that would make me happy. Unfortunately, I never received the happiness I was looking for. I still felt like something was missing so I kept filling that void inside of me with more material things.

This all changed when I went on my second missionary trip to Mexico with my friends from church.

I went to Nogales, Mexico when I was fifteen. My friends and I went to a poverty stricken neighborhood that needed help constructing their church building. It had already been built up but it was missing some essential things that a building needs like a roof. We weren’t going to build the roof but we helped them construct other parts of the building like stairs that lead to entrance of the church. Now, these people had practically nothing. Some days we ate the same thing for breakfast, lunch, and dinner because that is all they had to give us. Also, we didn’t have the best equipment for building anything. All we had were hammers, nails, screwdrivers, and we even had to make our own concrete. We also didn’t live in the best living conditions. We had to sleep on the roof of the compound because we were there with other churches and we didn’t have any room to fit us in beds. The weather was hot and uncomfortable and bugs bit us every night. I thought to myself about how anyone can live in this kind of conditions and be happy.

We attended a church service on Sunday and it proved me wrong. These people praised and worshipped God like nothing I have ever seen before. They thanked God for everything they had, even though it was practically nothing. They were raising their hands and had smiles on their faces and all you could here was singing. My friends and I looked at each other in amazement at how anyone can be content living in this poverty stricken place. This changed my life forever.

When I got back to the states I never took anything I had for granted ever again. I thanked God for everything I had. I even started giving away my possessions that I didn’t need to people who didn’t have all of the things I had and I enjoyed doing it. Now, money means more to me than ever before and I know now that money alone can’t buy me happiness in my life.