A Bandwagon? Think Again

Carlo - San Francisco, California
Themes: sports

I believe in the Dallas Cowboys.

Early this season, the Cowboys went on a 3-0 run against Cleveland, Philadelphia, and Green Bay. Then we lost against Washington and beat Cincinnati. Arizona’s game was fierce and we went to overtime-on two drives under two minutes to tie the game: 24-24. Unfortunately, we lost the game and we lost our starting quarterback, Tony Romo, and our starting kicker, Mat McBriar. Romo was out for a month, with a broken pinkie, and McBriar, was out for the season, with a broken leg and several torn ligaments.

Starting quarterback, Brad Johnson, lost against both St. Louis and New York, but he redeemed himself with a breath taking win against Tampa Bay.

Tony Romo came back to win three games in a row (against Washington, San Francisco and Seattle) and instilled a sense of hope in every Cowboy-“He Spurred The Team’s Success,” according to the Dallas Cowboys’ website. Our last four games of the season are tough. We will be facing Pittsburgh, New York, Baltimore and Philadelphia. “The Cowboys’ season seems like a toss-up right now” argues Andy Simpson in bleacher report, a sports network powered by CBS sports.

Being 8 and 4, many believe the Cowboys are out of the playoffs, but I believe in them… I know we are going to the playoffs.

Living in Mexico, people have three NFL teams to favor: Pittsburgh, San Francisco or the Cowboys. My family chose the Cowboys; thus, passing on the tradition.

I started my “sports life” cheering on soccer and Las Chivas, a Mexican soccer team. Then, watching my dad play college football, made me spin 360 degrees- the game changed from kicking the ball to catching the ball. I enjoyed 3 superbowl wins in the early 90’s, but then the Cowboys lost their “fire” and died for 10 years. The football fever died with the Cowboys horrendous 10 playoff-less seasons. I went back to watching soccer and hailing Las Chivas, but I still checked the Cowboys heartbreaking scores out of the corner of my eye.

Understanding the cruelty the Cowboys were facing was not easy, but as a true fan, I was entitled to stay faithful and support my team during the bad, mediocre, unpleasant times.

Watching Quincy Carter, Anthony Wright, Ryan Leaf, Clint Stoener, Vinny Testeverde, Drew Henson and Drew Bledsoe make fun of the my team, with their horrible performances, created a sense of frustration in my broken heart. I even questioned my faith, “Will we ever win a playoff game?”

Just like in every “hero story”, the realization phase started, once I entered Saint Ignatius College Preparatory. Showing off my true colors, blue, white, and silver, was not easy in this 49er infested school. Constant mockery hit me from every direction, “Cowboys suck,” “The haven’t won a playoff in years,” my response was, “We need a quarterback…once we find a good solid quarterback we will make the playoffs and not only that, we will prove that we deserve to be called ‘America’s Team’.”

“Romo, Romo, Romo,” was the chant that came out of my mouth after Drew Bledsoe was benched and Tony Romo became the starter during halftime. We still lost that game against the New York Giants 36-22 in 2006. I knew this was going to be the quarterback-the one I alluded to-, the fresh start to the new Cowboys.

With the addition of T.O., Marion Barber, Edward “not Packman” Jones, and Roy Williams (WR) and our previous “Pro-Bowlers” (Demarcus Ware, Marcus Spiers, Tony Romo, Terry Glenn, Patrick Crayton, Roy Williams {S}, etc), we went to the playoffs in 2007 and 2008. Sadly we lost both playoff games, but our 13 and 3 season record made a statement.

Entering the season as favorites to win the superbowl, we have not satisfied the expectation of a powerful, undefeated team, but I know many have taken our “fight” for granted.

I believe in the Dallas Cowboys. I know they will go to the playoffs and win their first playoff game in 13 seasons…

…I BELIEVE!