No Condition Is Permanent

Rugiatu - santa rosa, California

I believe that no condition is permanent. No matter what you are going through in life just believe and trust in God and know that he will never leave you nor forsake you.I had lived a very tough life when I was growing up as child in Sierra Leone and I felt that the whole world was totally against me. Over this period of extreme lack, a gnawing hunger for a better life began to boil in my mind. I wanted to come to America so I could escape social poverty and bleak future. I had long ago understood the idea that America is the father of all nations; more over, it is beautiful with lots of opportunites.

In Sierra Leone there were not many opportunities. Seventy percent of Sierra Leoneans lived below the poverty line. A person was considered poor if his/her income levels fall below some minimum level necessary to meet the basic needs. My parents fitted well in this category and half of the populations were undernourished. Adult literacy was also a disaster it accounted for only thirty-five percent of the population. Poverty is hunger, it is lack of shelter, being sick and not being able to see a doctor, not having access to school and knowing how to read. All these conditions gave me a call for action-action to come to America. I didn’t have any relatives in America so that made my dreams impossible. But with God all things are possible as long as I have faith.

At every stage in my life I have obeyed only that voice coming from my deepest self.When I go to church for prayers, a voice in my head will tell me that my prayers would not be answered, while the other voice emerging from a remote place inside of me, from a deep spot far back in my memory, would tell me to continue seeking his face he would answer my prayers one day.

During the winter I would part the dark clouds, star shining like a ghost, and the trees moving soundlessly, dump my feet in potholes to go to church and during the summer my feet would be buried in dust, and I was nearly dying from heatstroke. I never took buses to church. I had always walked by foot in my only shoes, which were plastic flip-flops with my toes sticking out from cracks and splits. The distance from my house to church was four miles to and fro. For twelve solid years, I prayed vigilantly to God and my trust did not fade. “Be patient” my pastor would say to me “for patience is vitue, and whoever is patient achieves his goal.” I continued to pray.

In the summer of 2000, my condition began to change; I began to experience favors from God as well as people. My faith became stronger and settled knowing that better days were ahead of me. Two years later, God answered my prayers. I met an American man who married me and brought me to America. In the wink of an eye God changed my condition. The steadfast love of God never changes and his mercies never end. They are new every morning. Great is his faithfulness.

If you have a strong faith and follow the teachings of your religion, then work toward your goal, God will open windows of opportunity for you as he did for me.