Love Spoken

Julie - Hillsborough, New Jersey

“Seeing is believing and believing is seeing.” This is an awesome quote that many people use when thinking about a belief that they have because of seeing something or believing to see something in the future. In life I truly believe that actions speak “love” incomprehensibly louder than words.

I have encountered many different incidents in my life where someone has done something because they could not say it. The thing that they did showed love way more than any kind of word could have done so. One major incident where I saw love was in the Dominican Republic. My senior class went on a mission’s trip, which was also our senior class trip to San Juan and Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. While there we were able to go into the fishing villages, the capitol, and the hospital to help out in every way possible.

The hospital was very bewildering in the sense that it did not even seem like hospitals that we know. There was construction happening all around, loud noises, and the rooms were filled with beds lined up on both sides of the walls. On top of that there was barely a doctor in each room with very few nurses and many sick children. There was not enough hospital staff so the mothers were the ones that had to take care of the children in the hospital. While walking through all of the different rooms we would hand out toys, sing songs, and make the children laugh and smile through our actions. We also gave the hospital loads of medical supplies and medicine.

Every room that we had entered in that hospital and every child that we had met were truly significant. There was one room and one little boy that I will never forget. As we entered the room I saw all different boys and girls of all ages lying down, sitting up, and smiling as we brought them all different kinds of toys. We handed out toys to each one starting with the children closest to the door. As I was speaking to the children and mothers the very little Spanish that I know, I noticed this one adorable little boy way in the back with his mom sitting in a rocker next to him.

I do not remember seeing a smile on his face and I quickly ran and got a toy and bubbles and went right over to him. He had bandages all over his body and was quite shy. I gave him the toy and started blowing bubbles for him. While playing with his toy and feeling the bubbles tickle his nose, he began to laugh. He laughed and laughed and kept on smiling. It brought tears to my eyes as I watched how this little boy was in so much pain, yet overflowed with joy.

There are so many different concepts that people believe in this world. Even though I could not speak very good Spanish and the little boy and his mother may have not understood me, I was able to show them love by what I did. Actions speak extraordinarily louder than words. This I Believe!