I Believe Hard Rock Can Melt Stress Away

Justin - West Islip, New York

I Believe That Hard Rock Can Melt Stress Away

When I first began listening to music as a way to ease the tension, I was listening to soft and solemn bands that had a lot of slow ballads such as Secondhand Serenade. However, these sad sounding songs usually did nothing but make me feel worse, not only because of the “why-even-bother” lyrics, but the music itself had a way of tugging at the heartstrings. As a result of this I realized I needed a change of pace, if things were going to get better for myself.

I have never found a greater de-stressor than listening to hard rock and screamo bands, such as Atreyu and Escape the Fate. I can feel the double-bass and the intricate guitar riffs pounding in my head as if I’m in the front row of a grand concert hall. The singers belting out the already attention-grabbing lyrics resonate in my chest as if it was really me expending all of this energy instead of the band. Suddenly I am imagining that I am a different person in a different world; I am harder, better, faster, and stronger. By the time I revert back to reality, and unplug from the beautiful chaos that is rock, I find all traces of doubt, depression, and angst has seemed to dissipate from within me. I feel like a new person, who is ready to handle anything the world can possibly dish out; like nothing can bring me down.

Certain rock songs are the keys to my liberation from virtually any negative feelings I may hold inside and do not know what to do with. It’s ironic, because those who are not aware of certain types of music’s therapeutic properties would probably assume soft ballads would soothe you, and screaming bands would make you even more stressed out, amplifying the negativity inside yourself. Nevertheless, I have found that the reverse rings true for me. I’m much more likely to stay up a few extra hours, drowned in circling thought when I am listening to Secondhand Serenade before bed. However, if I am listening to some Atreyu before I fall asleep I find that their empowering and upbeat melodies can put me out within the hour, and finally soothe the restless, raging sea that is the human consciousness. I believe that anyone needing to escape their daily stressors though music should turn not toward leisurely ballads, but heart-pounding rock with face-melting guitar solos and sore throat-inducing screaming. Everyone needs to yell sometimes to cleanse their emotional storehouse, but luckily these bands scream their lungs out so we don’t have to.