I Believe In Relativity

Jessica - Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Themes: tolerance

People have a natural tendency to argue. They argue about absolutely everything. There are so many different controversial topics out there in the world, and people disagree on all of them. However, I believe that there are no right or wrong answers. I believe that everything is relative.

The outlooks individuals have on certain subjects have a lot to do with personal situations that people have overcome. Think about it, different people have different thoughts, beliefs and views on many different topics. I believe that the opinions of others come from their pasts, what they have been taught and what they have learned. These opinions shape individuals identities.

For example, I grew up in a family that was open to change. We were in no way, shape or form judgmental. However, Chambersburg, the town I grew up in was full of stereotypes and racism. This was due to the fact that there were a lot of people from different cultures moving into the area. Every day I saw the way that people treated others that were not like themselves. This upset me, because I believe that everyone is equal, and should be treated equally. Although I would not like to admit it, if I would have grown up in a family that feels as if other cultures are of less importance, I would probably feel that same way.

A lot of people believe everything they hear. Many others share the same thoughts and beliefs as their parents, just because that is how they were raised. If you are born into a family that believes in a certain religion, then it is more than likely that you will also learn to believe in that same religion. If you are born into a family that is not religious at all, then most likely you will not be religious either. This is not true in all circumstances; however, I feel that normally this is how everything works out in the end.

Agreeing or disagreeing on certain issues can be hard for me at times, especially because I am a very indecisive person. I believe that there is no right or wrong answer for the majority of topics. Everything influences people’s ideas and sometimes the opinions of individuals change.

About a year ago I was introduced to a girl who eventually became a very good friend of mine. When I met her, I honestly had no idea of the hardships that someone my age could have possibly gone through. She was kicked out of her home during her senior year of high school and everything continued to go downhill from there. As our friendship grew, I learned how life is just not fair. She had completely different beliefs from me in almost every subject imaginable. After I learned about her past I had a whole different view on how opinions can change.

For these reasons, I believe that everything is relative, and I believe that relativity is just fine. It is absolutely okay to see things differently from others. I believe that everyone should be open to listening and learning from others points of view.