HaHa Healthy

Matthew - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

Ha-ha Healthy

Two snowmen are standing in a field. One says to the other: “Funny, I smell carrots too”.

In my junior year of high school I was voted class clown. I have always been one for jokes. Often times I get into trouble for not knowing when to separate fun from work. Comics are always the first thing that I read when I get the Sunday paper. Laughter is defined as an expression or appearance of merriment or amusement. I always did things to make others laugh, to get attention, and to make myself smile but I never knew that laughing was actually healthy for you. Did you know that in the Readers Digest, one of the comic sections is titled “Laughter is the Best Medicine?” I never knew if that was true until I did some research and found out that it is healthy to laugh.

When presented with the question ‘Can a laugh a day keep the heart attack away?’ Dr. Michael Miller of the Center for Preventive Cardiology at the University of Maryland Medical Center, began a study. This study found that people with heart disease were 40 percent less likely to laugh in a variety of situations compared to people of the same age without heart disease. Dr. Miller said that maybe one day the recommendation for a healthy heart may be “exercise, eat right and laugh a few times a day.”

My grandfather was recently put into the hospital for having a heart attack. My papa and always goof off when we are around each other, so I would visit him in the hospital and make him laugh. Every time I went to see him, he looked better and better. I believe that the jokes and laughter helped my grandfather get healthy again.

I believe that laughter is truly the best medicine. Laughter not only brings smiles, it also brings good health. Seeing that I like to laugh, and make others laugh, I consider myself a part-time doctor. I model my life after the famous Dr. Hunter Patch Adams. He realized that the best form of healing was humor. Patch said, “You treat a disease, you win, you lose. You treat a person, I guarantee you, you will win, no matter what the outcome.” He went on further to say, “Our job is improving the quality of life, not just delaying death.” Let us all live happily and joyfully. Let us laugh and smile and be merry until the end of days.