Chelsea - 66209, Kansas
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in spontaneity. We spend so much of our lives planning for tomorrow or looking back at yesterday that we often forget about living in the moment. I don’t know about you, but some of the best memories I have of my life are of spur of the moment happenings. Those special moments where you just feel your life just lift up and take off.

My friends and I had just seen a movie, and after a bit of discussion and plenty of social planning, we all piled into my car to go hang out with some friends and celebrate the end of finals and the beginning of Christmas break. The night was crisp and cold as we drove away from the movie theater. All of the sudden, the largest snowflakes I have ever seen began to fall from the ominous clouds above. I swear they were the size of cotton balls. Okay, not that huge, but I had never seen anything like it. My friends and I were stunned into silence for a moment, and then we began to laugh. We laughed because God never ceases to amaze us, because we had forgotten to notice the little miracles in daily life, and because the snowflakes were now inside the car. That’s right, I took the liberty of rolling down all of the car windows and opening up the sunroof. Sure, it was a measly 25 degrees outside, but nobody said a word about the cold. At this point we had almost arrived at our destination, but for the last couple hundred feet I slowed the car to a crawl, and the music on the radio faded into silence. The houses around us dissolved into a cloud of white, and we could almost hear each snowflake as it fell to the ground and joined the billions of others already weaving the blanket of snow covering the city. The second we pulled up to the house, my friend’s mom ran out to greet us, and the moment was gone.

I never could have planned those moments in the car, and I would never try to recreate that experience. While there are no pictures from that night, and the other girls in the car may have forgotten all about it, I will always remember. That was the night I started to believe that life should be spontaneous.