Music Is The Catalyst For Change

Hannah - St. Davids, Pennsylvania

I believe that music can change the world. And, I am not the only one who thinks so. In the spring of 2008, my family and I went to the Tribeca Film Festival in New York City to see the independent film, “Playing for Change: Peace Through Music”. The filmmakers traveled around the world to prove that music is universal and can promote change, specifically world peace. For the first time, I felt like I was not alone. I know what music can do for me, and when I saw other people believing that music can bring about world peace, there were butterflies in my stomach. I was so ecstatic to discover that others share my passion.

For me, music is outlet for every emotion that flows through me. When music seeps into ears, sometimes I wish it seeps into bloodstream so that those notes can stay with me always and become a part of me. Hearing is the most important sense for me because every feeling that is bottled in a human can be fully expressed in a series of notes. I treasure this sense because it touches my soul like nothing in this world can.

Music is something each culture has in common. It is tailored to each region of globe specifically, but in the end, it is all just music to my ears. World peace is often referred to as “harmony”. But, my question is why can’t the world take that phrase literally? Wars, religious beliefs, cultures, and money are the things that separate the nations of the world. Music is the one thing everybody has in common. It has this unassuming power to take the reins of emotions on the deepest level. Music moves people. Music moves me.

There are some people who believe that a metamorphosis is within reach through music notes. Product (Red) recently released a weekly digital music magazine in which half the small monthly fee goes straight back to Africa to fight AIDS. I think that this creation is the catalyst for the many great ideas to come about how music notes can transform into something abundant and exquisite.

My own way of morphing music into an aid is to buy music and create mix CD’s, giving half of the money per disc directly to the non-profit, To Write Love On Her Arms. By purchasing a tailored disc that I create, half of the money is going to support suicide hotlines and counseling centers to spread awareness about self-inflicted injury and suicide.

Through these ways and many more to come, I do believe that the notes I hear can spread change, just like a radio spreads a hit single. I am yearning to see what other great projects arise from the unexplainable of joy that comes from hearing music. I absolutely believe that music holds the power to make this world a better place.