Addictions are hard to fight through with out having a reason

a - Hillsboro, Oregon

I remember my older sister would only come home once every 2-3 weeks. The reason she wouldn’t come back was because she was an addict. She would come home skinny as a rail, looking dirty and just unhealthy. She would come and ask for money, it would always end up in her and my parents in a big fight. She would always have reasons for needing the money, but none of us believed it. I believe addictions are hard to fight with out having a drastic reason.

Everyone had tried getting her to quit the using. None of it worked we tried and tried but she never had a reason to really quit. She would stop using for a month or so but then she would fall back into her old habits. It was hard we all had a hard time dealing with it. I had to take care of my little sister while my parents dealt with her. Everyone says that I grew up way faster since I had to take care of her. Then one day it all changed…

It all happened when we got a phone call from the jail. We knew that she was probably in jail again. Then, she told my mom something none of us would have though she would say at the time. She told her she was pregnant. This shocked us all so then her and her boyfriend (he also used) both turned themselves in. Now she just got out of rehab she was there for like 3-4 months. Now he is still in rehab.

It was a hard transition but they both had a big reason to give up there old life. They both said they wanted to start a new life with this little girl Ivy Dawn Thomas.They both can’t wait till she is born. My older sister is looking at houses but for know she is staying with us. I had to tell my sister at one point in time if she didn’t quit using then I wouldn’t be able to be around her anymore. It was one of the hardest things to do .She was my best friend but then everything changed…but know she is my best friend again.

I was really excited to hear for the first time I was going to be aunt.I think this little girl is going to be a miracle. She was the drastic change that literally made my sisters life take a major turn. My older sister has changed a ton. She is going to church, going to meetings, working. If this little girl wouldn’t have came along as a gift to us I don’t know where my older sister would have been. Ivy is due Christmas want a blessing she will be. This is why I think that without a major reason to get rid of an addiction it is one of the hardest things to do.