Football and Me

Clayton - Katy, Tennessee
Themes: sports

Football and Me

I believe in the importance of youth to commit themselves to a group. Whether it a Church group, athletic team, book club, or even an informal group, there are many different types of organizations for youth (and any age group) to join. I believe in the importance of this participation for many reasons, namely the commitment to something bigger than yourself, learning to work with others, making friends, and learning how to deal with responsibility. These learning experiences and many more are the reason I believe that is necessary for youth to place a bit of their time and effort into a group or team.

For me, whether it was the fourth grade or my senior year, my football team has always been the group that I have committed to. For any achievement to be made in football, contributions must be made by many different people. I am a part of a district and area champion defense this year, however I, myself am not the reason for success. Neither is the reason our star quarterback or running back (although they play a role). The real reason for our team’s accomplishment this year has been the culmination of the hard work done by various people. The back-ups, coaches, parents, and even the band members all play an important role in our district championship. My personal coach, Coach Hammond, relayed an analogy to my team in a pre-game speech that I believe communicates the point I’m trying to get across perfectly. A good name for it would be the popsicle analogy. Coach Hammond pulled out one popsicle stick and displayed it to the team. This represented a single player on a football team trying to win football game. He then easily snapped it in half. Coach then pulled out a group of 33 popsicle sticks, these represented the 33 players that made up the team (11 each on offense, defense, and special teams for non-football fans). Even under the brute force of the strongest player on our team, the bundle of sticks refused to break. The Popsicle stick analogy conveys the idea of a group of individuals working stronger as a whole, further laying foundation my belief.

Everyone preaches to youth about the importance of being an individual. While I agree individuality is an important component of the make-up of a human, I believe it is also important to reap the benefits of learning how to work in a group. My belief comes with a dream, that every person at one time in his life, ignores personal triumph and commits himself to a cause bigger than himself. Whether it a marriage, a family, a communion with GOD, or even a football team, the ability to be part of a team builds valuable traits in men and women. Most importantly: the ability to give up yourself for the greater good of a group or team.