My Pop’s

Daniel - Saratoga Springs, Utah

Someone that has always inspired me through my life has been my father or pops as I like to call him. As I begin a new stage in my life, starting a family of my own, I realize more and more just how incredible my dad really is.

Growing up my best friend was always my dad. He owned his own company, which meant he was always busy with work. Many times his work would take him out of town for a night or two, possible the whole week. But yet, he rarely missed any of my soccer games. I say rarely because I am sure he must have missed one or two, but I truly can not remember him ever missing one of them. No matter what type of weather, sun or snow, he was there. Always yelling and pushing me to do better. I was always bigger than the typical soccer player, not fat, just taller and bigger. The typical soccer player was a short quick guy. But that did not matter to my dad. I truly believe it was his pushing that made me do so well, and play on numerous high level competition teams.

Like all father and son relationships, we had our tough times. We would argue, disagree, and just about get in fist fights sometimes. But no matter what happened, he ended each disagreement with, “we’re still best buds, right?” And through it all, we were. I knew I could come to my dad with any problem. I still remember when I got to the age that smoking and drinking came in to play. He told me that if I ever wanted to try either to let him know and he would buy the drinks or cigarettes and do it with me. From that, I have never touched a cigarette or alcohol to this day.

I know its pretty cliché to say that my dad in my greatest role model, but he truly is. He has given me an example on which I am trying to be like for my little girl. I only hope that I am a 1/10th the dad he was to me.