The Impact of Friendship

Jillian - Overland Park, Kansas

William E. Rothschild once said, “How rare and wonderful is that flash of a moment when we realize we have discovered a friend.” For those who have never been the new kid, this might be hard to understand, but for me it’s not.

I’ve had many good friends in the past years, but it wasn’t until high school that I started to believe in the power of friendship. I was very content with my life going to public school, but my parents had other plans for me. They decided to send me to a Catholic school against my will. Why would I want to leave my friends and everything I know only to turn into the new kid? Unfortunately this argument didn’t alter my parent’s decision.

I wasn’t used to not knowing anyone at my school, and right off the bat it was very hard. The first week of school I felt like an outcast. Every time I tried to talk to anyone it felt as if I was bothering them, so eventually I gave up trying to make friends and just resorted to silence. It was hard not knowing anyone, and I soon began to hate my school.

My high school life changed greatly the day I met my best friend. That day, I decided to sit with some random classmates for lunch, again. As I sat down, the girl next to me said hi and introduced herself. I was used to the polite introductions but didn’t think anything of it. As lunch progressed, the girl and I kept up a steady conversation, and I caught myself actually not hating school for once. It wasn’t until then that I realized the girl and I had five classes together. So, when the bell rang for the next class, I was ecstatic to find that the girl from lunch was in it. It was the first time since school started that I had someone to walk to class with and not feel like I was tagging along.

Her torn ACL meant that we could take our time walking to all the classes we had together, and I found out that I had a lot in common with her. I began to feel more comfortable, and I started to become more outgoing in school.

That girl from lunch quickly turned into my best friend and is still today. When I look back on it, I don’t think she ever realized what an impact she had on my life. She made me believe in the power of friendship.