Jaclyn - Katy, Texas
Themes: family, sports

My dad never got his star football player. Instead, he got three dress wearing, ice skating, gymnastic flipping girls. Growing up with brothers, sports were the only thing he knew and Sundays was strictly a day of football watching. When my sisters and I were younger, we hated the fact the TV had all his attention all day long. It wasn’t until years later we would all finally connect.

Three years ago my dad bought season tickets to the Texans’ football games. At first we did not see any incentive to go. Watching a football game in person did not seem any better than watching it on TV. So, my dad found whoever he could take and would go without us. Then one day he said we were all going to go tailgate then watch the game together. A little hesitant all three of his girly girls went with him. We enjoyed a good meal, good company, and a good game and loved every minute of it. On this day I realized I believed in Tailgating.

I believed in the chips, sausage, and cokes. I believed in the spirit in the air. The excitement building for the upcoming game we were going to see. The bond shared between my family and the families around me who were just enjoying another Sunday morning. I believed in it all.

I would say tailgating really brought my family together. It gave us something to do and somewhere to go. It provided a common ground were dad and daughters could enjoy themselves together. Now my dad may not have had his football playing boys after all but he sure got some football watching fans and in the end, he could not ask for more.