Everything Happens for a Reason

Hannah - Dubuque, Iowa
Themes: purpose

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Nothing happens unless something was meant to be learned from it. Everyone is somewhere doing something for some reason.

I work in a nursing home and death is a pretty common thing; you learn to accept it whether you really want to or not. When it happens to someone you fall in love with you find yourself thinking the worst about life, but you end up constantly reminding yourself that this is a natural part of life and eventually, it happens to everyone.

I can remember one perfect summer day when I was asked to pick up some hours because someone called in sick. The idea of working on a day like this made me sad, but reluctantly I agreed. Something told me it was a good idea. It was that same day that a resident we all knew and loved was dying. I was running around that day trying to get everyone to supper on time and helping a few new aides with their residents. As I was flying down the hall, I walked a few steps past this resident’s room and stopped almost dead in my tracks. Something forced me to stop and just check on her really quick before I kept going. I went in and her breathing had slowed to a point where I felt it necessary to call for my nurse. There we sat with her until she took her final breath and passed. Every now and then I find myself going over that day in my head and how I felt as I walked by her room. Something made the world around me slow down and something made me go in.

I often wonder if that was one of those moments that I needed to learn something from, or if it is just one of those awkward moments in life that you over analyze and drive yourself crazy over. If I were to take something from this experience then I’d have to say that you should not let life pass you by, and that there are times when you need to take it slow and take in all your surroundings otherwise life gets overwhelming.

Either way, I believe that everything that happens in life has some kind of meaning or you’re meant to learn something from it. Even if what you’re meant to do is something as simple as stopping and taking in your surroundings.