Why Freedom is important

Ziven - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: freedom

I believe in many things and I don’t believe in many things but there is one thing that I believe in particularly the most: freedom. I can do almost anything I want or I can choose not to do anything but it all remains my choice. I’ve never had my freedom parted from me but I bet it doesn’t feel good to be powerless over your self. Having the freedom of choice is the most important part of my life and it’s the guiding principal of United States.

“We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our posterity,”-Preamble to the U.S. Constitution. “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, which among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”-U.S. Declaration of Independence. Freedom is written into our founding documents and is or at least should be our guiding principal. If isn’t then all of our founder’s hard work and dedication have gone to waste. According to Wikipedia 25,000 Americans died in the Revolutionary war. All of those lives and those of all the other wars the U.S. has fought will have gone to waste if we lose our freedom.

Some time ago I thought that a school policy was dumb and I expressed my opinion to one of my teachers. I didn’t say anything political but rather I simply said that it was dumb that I couldn’t have an off hour back that I had technically earned back. She didn’t take too kindly to that for whatever reason and I lost an important opportunity as a result. Now imagine if I were living in a nation that has very little freedom and I called a governmental policy dumb. I don’t think they would just have given me a talking to and taken away an opportunity. I think I would have gotten much worse. From looking back through history you can see that in nations without freedom nonconformists and people who speak their mind usually get killed or imprisoned which in this case would be me. I don’t think that too many Americans realize how much we take freedom for granted.

I remember once that my father told me that I would get killed one day for my views. This was, as you can imagine very shocking and unsettling. I don’t consider myself that radical but it seems more and more that if a person is in the minority regarding ideas they are looked down upon and disregarded – perhaps even intimidated. No matter what your ideas are I don’t think that you should be punished for them. All ideas should be challenged intellectually but never physically. Views that are shunned and disregarded by the majority tend to be the ones that need the most attention. Views can change and people can change but death is permanent. No one should be afraid of expressing themselves or what they think ever.