A little Artist in Everyone

Abby - Provo, Utah

I believe everyone has a little artist in them. Art is not confined to those who have amazing dance skills or can paint beautiful murals that hang in museums across the world. Art in its very core is creativity. Everyday people who use their intuition and creativity to make the world more beautiful and a better place are artist. You do not have to be in a ballet company to enjoy dancing with your children in the kitchen one Saturday morning. Teenagers who sketch cartoons in their notebooks in class- they are artists. They are using imagination and observational skills to create art. The Gee’s Bend women who quilted the now-famous masterpieces that hang in the New York Museum of Art did not know that they were creating art. Their elaborate designs they made out of swatches of old, worn out clothes now inspire millions.

Creativity is also used in problem solving and inventions. The man who designed the flushable toilet is one of my favorite artists- his creative thinking made life much more sanitary and comfortable today. Art does not have to be elaborate or expensive. Often the art that is seen by most to be ugly or unattractive is the kind that makes the world a better place. If I had to choose between owning the original painting of Starry Night or having indoor plumbing in my home, I would choose the toilet and shower and place a print of Starry Night over my toilet. Both are beautiful to me, but one artist would improve my life much more than the other. Art is not only in the form of paints and pencils but it is a creative way of thinking, express, inventing, and improving. Everyone has a little artist in them, but everyone must let it shine so others can benefit from it.