God’s Purpose Verses Ours

Alan - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I believe that God’s purpose often does not align with our purpose for the future. This also means that what we feel is morally right, is not always right in God’s eyes. God ultimately goes against our idea of what is right to bring about long-term good that is impossible for us to see because we are mere humans. This is a matter of trust on our part, especially since it is impossible for us to thwart his plan.

This is a hard concept for us to grasp since we are emotional creatures that seek momentary satisfaction. During this last year, I have been getting interested in Philanthropy and dedicating my life to stopping the violence in the streets of Urban America. There was an event in Pittsburgh, January 2008, where an excelling 12 year old girl was shot and killed when assault rifle bullets hit her house that were meant for her gang-affiliated older brother. Even though he was not home, she and her mother were hit yet she died. When I first saw this event in the news, I was deeply saddened. This was especially true because of my new mentality. I couldn’t see what happened next but God had a plan for this event. Leaders from gangs on this side of town decided that a line was crossed. They arranged to meet with each other and law enforcement, a cease-fire was arranged. Even though this didn’t clear crime, it did change the life of many young people and reduce it.

Not only are stories like this apparent in human life, but events in the Bible end the same way. The story of Joseph is God’s ultimate example. Joseph started his journey being betrayed by his brothers and sold into slavery, but it ended with him saving millions of lives in Egypt. If he would have never been sent to Egypt, he would have never been able to interrupt the dream of the Pharoah which kept them safe throughout the famine.

God used painful events in these two instances in order to bring about a greater good. Despite the first money-motivated 17 years of my life, this newfound faith and desire to understand God in order to solve this problem is what made me decide to go into youth ministry. If I follow what I want right now, then I would use my skills in order to gain a career that pays better. It is because of my belief in God and understanding that trusting in him is ultimately effective that I feel a greater good will come about. I can’t see it and there is no evidence that it will happen but I trust that I will be able to make a difference and finally find a new, deeper kind of happiness that is not found in earthly things.