True Friendship

Emily - Ft. Lupton, Colorado

I believe in the power of true friendship.

In the past I have been through some really tough times, that most adults have been lucky enough not to have experienced. When I was in a time of need, I would call on who I thought were my “true” friends for comfort, but they always seemed to be busy or had better things to do. I would be left to deal with things on my own, which never was a good feeling. Over time, I learned to not even bother calling because I knew I would receive no help. I figured I would be ok without friends, who needed them anyways.

When I got to high school I met some girls and we became really close. We would go out all the time and it was always so much fun. I realized what I had been missing out on in the past. Of course we still had our disagreements but we were always there for each other no matter what, but I still had this fear in the back of my head of being left alone when I really needed someone. Overtime, they proved themselves and were there to help me with my problems whether it was with my family or boyfriend or anything. So on the night when I got my heart broken I was a total disaster. (To most people it may seem like a pitiful thing to make me feel like a mess, but to a 16 year old it seems like the end of the world.) I picked up the phone and called my friend without even thinking and told her what happened. I was just expecting her to talk me through it and tell me everything was going to be ok, but to my shock, she told me she was on her way. She soon arrived with some of my other friends and they ran to me and hugged me. They told me it was all going to be alright and stayed with me while I cried. They even got me to laugh a few times. They took that extra step to be there for me that I never expected. I truly felt loved and blessed at that moment. I would have probably survived dealing with my heartbreak on my own but its nice having someone to depend on and help me believe there is always a brighter side.

I’m so grateful to have such great friends and even though it was over a boy, it was something that was important to me and I know there are so many people who have felt the same way but maybe in a different situation. Having true friends are a gift not to be taken for granted. I honestly believe that true friendship can turn your life around for the better, fill it with happiness, and help you in any type of need. I feel truly lucky.