Appearnces Can Be Deceiving

Justin - Gainesville, Florida

I believe that people shouldn’t be judged by the way they appear on the outside. For instance, if you were to look at a person with glasses carrying around a book, what would you think? Smart? Nerdy? Teachers pet? I have glasses, and often carry around textbooks with me, but not because I’m a nerd. It’s because I want to do my work as fast as possible to save at home time. Not because I crave a teacher’s praise, but because I crave not getting grounded for an infinite amount of time for getting bad grades. And if you were to think, hey, he looks smart. That might be true for some people. Good for you if you think that! That’s one person that isn’t totally stuck up.

If you were to look at someone who is overweight and think, ewww, fat guy. What if this guy has a disease or disorder and he can’t lose the weight easily or can’t lose it at all? If you found that out, you would have a bad feeling in the pit of your stomach. That’s guilt, my friends. Just because he is overweight doesn’t mean he is ugly or weird. Like I said, there could be something wrong with him. How would you feel if you were like him, and you walked down the street and everyone gave you a sideways glance and turned to their friends and whispered, “Look at that guy, he’s huge!” I know I would feel like I couldn’t go out in public for fear of embarrassment. I wouldn’t ever want to leave my house! Problem is, I would have to and go out to suffer again. Me personally, I have nothing against overweight people. They are just people with problems. Lots of people have problems. It’s just that some people cant or have a hard time dealing with them.

You’re walking down the street, and you see and guy with a prosthetic leg or a missing arm. You might say to yourself, “That guy is freaky looking…” Well, what would you say if you knew that guy lost an arm or leg fighting for our freedom in a war? There comes that feeling again. You are saying that this guy looks freaky and he lost that limb that gives you the right to walk down the very street you are on without fear and with freedom. This man lost a limb, essentially for you, and you’re going to call him weird? I think that the people who act like this are either extremely stuck-up or just plain heartless. This man has trouble doing things in life like playing sports, maybe even eating and drinking. All so you could live a good life. I think we should salute the war veterans in our lives, for they have risked, and unfortunately lost, life and limb for us. So you see, you shouldn’t always judge people by their appearances.