A Type of Telepathy

Jenna - Lenexa, Kansas

Blue. Green. Yellow. Purple. I will never forget the memorized order of the four colors. Just four simple words. But it was all it took. Suddenly people would think we were much cooler than them, and somehow our minds were superior to theirs. It was not power we sought, or the thought of people feeling inferior to our outstanding brains. It was our thing. It was in these moments, the moments we laughed as others stood in confusion that my belief began. And today, years later, I believe it more than ever. I believe in memorized telepathy. But more importantly, I believe in twins.

The most annoying question, which I get, asked all the time is “do you like having a twin?” It’s the only thing I have ever known. And I have nothing to compare it to. And I guess a lot of the time I kind of hide the answer behind the usual- “Yeah, I guess.” Truth is. I don’t know where I would be without Andrew.

To be honest, it wasn’t until about 3 months ago that I realized Andrew and I were different than most boy-girl twins. I think I realized in calculus. We get the usual assigned seating in alphabetical order so our teacher can learn our names quicker, and due to fate, Andrew and I ended up at the same two person table. But, it turns out Andrew and I probably talked more than any table in the class, and our teacher would give us looks to shut up all the time. Or maybe it was the times that Andrew would drop me off by the doors when it was raining. It might have been in the jokes, like when I would ask for one of the cheetos he had been munching on. He would put it on a napkin, on top of a pillow, on top of a tray and carry it over to me. Or maybe it was the summer nights when we stayed home and played guitar hero. It might have happened freshman year when we had half of our classes together, or maybe it was when we stuck together, while our family was falling apart. It might have been when he was forced to tell me what he thought about a dress, outfit or hairstyle. It could have been in the laughs, smiles or the tears. But somewhere. Somewhere in life. Suddenly I believed whole heartedly in twins.

When people would ask us if we had twin telepathy, we would look at them as though they were stupid. Andrew would tell me to think of a color, which I would whisper to the listening audience. And four out of four times, he would get it right. It was in those moments I realized how much I loved my twin. And although we are older now, we are still just as close. My brother has taught me how to love others, and how to be there for people when they need you most. I would not be the person I am today without him, and he has impacted my life more than any other person. I wish everyone had the best friend that I was born with.

Yes. I believe in twin telepathy. But more importantly I believe in twins.