Turn Up Your Radio

Olivia - Austin, Texas

Music. It creeps into our minds, our hips, our toes, and we dance(even if we don’t know how). Music creeps into our hearts, and floods our heads with nostalgia. Music tip toes its way into all my empty spaces, and fills me up. I believe in music.

From the earliest stages of life, the sounds and voices of different artists found their way into my ears, and fed my imagination. As a baby, I would cry, as most babies do, and my mom would put on John and Vangelis’s album with hopes that it would soothe me. To her amazement, soon after, I was a quiet baby listening in awe. Even now, those songs calm me, and take me back to somewhere in my head I can’t quite remember.

So what is it about music that can do all these things? It is the beautiful thought that someone put feeling into words and sound, making something unforgettable. The way the instruments complement each other resembles some of the greatest marriages like peanut butter and jelly, chocolate and milk, and spaghetti and meatballs. I’ve spent countless hours, listening to songs that have moved me. These are the songs I can remember exactly where I was when I first heard them, or at what moment they made the biggest impact on me.

I’ll never forget my senior year of high school, and being so upset because my i-pod had been stolen in auto shop when I wasn’t looking. The next class day, I got up in front of the whole class and told them all what that little piece of electronic engineering meant to me. “You’ve taken my music from me. You’ve taken the only thing that keeps me sane. It’s not about the i-pod itself, it’s about all the music, it’s important to me…” I went on to say how everyone has something they turn to in their lives when they need to blow off some steam and get away. Taking that something away, whatever that may be, is beyond cruel. Looking into everyone’s eyes, nearing tears, I asked for it back, the best way I knew how. “Please”.

The next day, it was back in my hands, with an apology and a hand shake.

People can identify with music because it brings out the best of raw human emotion. No matter what part of the world you are in, music is a definite part of any culture. It is shared amongst all of us.

Music has brought me to wonderful friends who have had the same passions for certain genres and artists. It has opened my eyes to the human mind, and how wonderful people come up with incredible sounds that can move the masses.

The next time you turn on your radio, pop in a CD, or come across music when out for the day, stop and appreciate it. Someone put a lot of thought and time with hopes that you would stop and listen one day, and maybe feel what they felt when they wrote the song.