I believe

Benjamin - Millersville

I Believe…

The sun was turning a reddish-orange as it started to disappear behind the trees. Leaves encircled my ankles with powerful gusts of wind at my back, as I started my journey back to my dorm. My phone vibrating in my worn pocket, little did I know that this call would be my last conversation with Victoria? I knew she was sick but something inside of me told me she would be fine. The next thing I knew I was in a hospital room, pleading with God to let her live. Within the next twenty-four hours Victoria would pass away. This was a harsh reality for me to understand and even now I don’t understand why she had to be taken from this earth. I believe that life is to precious to take it for granted.

My ex-girlfriend Victoria whom I dated on and off for four years during high school taught me this lesson by the way she lived her life. Victoria lived every second of her life to the fullest and I know that she wouldn’t have any regrets. The thing that impressed me most about her was her ability to always be there for people in times of turmoil. Living your life the fullest doesn’t mean always doing what you want, sometimes it means helping other people. This is something that Victoria had perfected and one of the things that I admired most in her. Dealing with her loss has been hard but I know that she would want me to live to the fullest in all aspects of my life.

I sometimes take my friends for granted but recently I realized how much I depend on them and how important it is to have friends. My friends have helped and are continuing to help me cope with the death of Victoria. Grief can be expressed in a variety of ways, but it has to be dealt with. I would never have been able to deal with this on my own and I am so grateful for my friends. Being surrounded by friends gives me hope in this dark tunnel. I know the journey won’t be easy but I hope they will carry me through.

Going through this process has been an interesting time for me but I have learned that Victoria would not want to live my life mourning her death. She would want me to carry on with my dreams and remember all of the good times we had together. I feel she would want me to live my life with more of a passion and not take things for granted.