All People Deserve Warmth

Stacey - Levittown, Pennsylvania

I believe all people are capable of everyday kindness.

Deep down we all have the power to do good deeds for others, but something stops us from doing even the little things. From my experience I have seen that it is embarrassment that stops us from helping someone pick up their books, holding a door, or letting someone know they have toothpaste on their lip. Holding back our goodwill toward others gives the illusion that we do not care. I can’t figure out why some of us embarrassed to be kind but, nevertheless, we are. It doesn’t have to be this way. We all have the ability to change the world through caring for each other.

When I was in grade school my grandmother walked my brother and I to the bus stop each morning. Although it was at times embarrassing to have her escort us, we had our share of fun adventures and I enjoyed her company. There was a boy who waited at the bus stop along with us who had a mental disability. My grandmother would always talk to him and for some reason that made me feel uncomfortable.

I remember a particular winter it was bitter cold. My brother and I walked to the bus stop in our new jackets, complaining about the temperature. When we got there my grandmother noticed that the boy at the bus stop wasn’t wearing any gloves. After sending us on our way she walked home briskly, rummaged through our cedar chest filled with the gloves that were too small for any of us, and picked out a pair for him.

The next day she planned to give the boy his “new” gloves. I walked slowly to the bus stop that morning because I was dreading this exchange. The embarrassment I felt initially wore off when I saw my grandmother’s small act of kindness toward this boy. I realized that what my grandmother was doing for him was what I should be doing in my daily life.

I still regret feeling ashamed because of my grandmother’s kindness on that day, but in the end it has taught me a valuable lesson: all people deserve warmth. Whether it’s physical or emotional, everyone needs the kind touch of another human being every once in awhile. I now strive to be kind to others as much as I can because I remember the look on that boy’s face when my grandmother gave him that pair of gloves.