Kindness Bringing the World Together

Malinda - Platteville, Colorado

Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.

–Albert Schweitzer

May 22nd 2008, a day that will never be forgotten. I still remember that day so vividly as if it just happened yesterday. Sitting at home thinking that this day was just like any ordinary day. That people would continue their daily routines and that nothing in the world could harm us. That’s when it hit. A tornado swept through what we all call “home.” I have never seen or even been in a tornado my entire life. Sure I’ve been in little dirt ones but never one with this much intensity. I always believed that these types of tornados didn’t exist in Colorado but only in Kansas. I remember being in our basement during this and all around our house it sound like a freight train time and time again. Within a few seconds after the tornado passed through its path, I remember running outside to see if our house was still there and standing and lucky for us it was. But less then half a mile down the road from our house, our neighbor’s house was flatten out with no nothing left standing. It’s scary to think that if this tornado had change courses that my house could have been the victim in its path instead. Tears felled up in my eyes with no word as to what outcome our neighbor had suffered or if they were still alive. How can within seconds you see everything you worked for gone in an instant… it’s just not fair.

That night we as a community went to our neighbors’ houses within our neighborhood and help picked up debris of what was left of their home. Doing whatever we could to help with packing their possessions they still had left. I remember being inside their house packing boxes for them and seeing people I never saw in my life working together. It’s strange that so many of us treasure what possessions we have worked hard to get and selfish in sharing them with others for fear of them being destroyed or taken. But the truth is that I realized that night, was that most people just want to lend a helping hand knowing that it could have been them and that our possessions are just materialistic.

My eyes were opened to kindness. I believe kindness can help a family in need no matter if you’re a stranger or a friend helping to pack boxes, clean up the debris or just praying for these families to get through hard times and to be able to get back on their feet. I believe that kindness comes in all shapes and sizes but that we as a person have to be willing too accept it. I realized that no matter who the person is that everyone has a little bit of kindness in their heart always.