Words Lost Between Love

Tairyn - LaSalle, Colorado

As a senior in high school, I have had my ups and downs in my short life. I can say that I have gone through the pain and suffering of a parents’ divorce. I have felt the tears on my heart from 9/11. I have witnessed the rise and fall of a fiery sky. I can see the voices of freedom reign over America. I believe that the greatest pain of all is to see the ones you love pass away. But with that comes the courage that only you can get.

A year ago this Halloween my oldest cousin had a beautiful baby boy. A few months before he was born the doctors had told her and her husband that there might be a chance that their son might not live long. When I found that out, all I could think about was how much worry we were going to endure.

My cousins did worry. Her pregnancy was the only thing on our minds. Finally the day came, the day the doctors were going to induce labor. There were complications during labor, but still he was born with the bravest heart. We quickly found out that he had been born with underdeveloped lungs.

My cousins had to make the hardest decision. The very same night that they had welcomed their new son, they had to say good-bye to him. We all gathered together to say good-bye one last time, a scene of passion and despair that I shall never forget. My cousins sat there looking at their son; in their eyes we could see pain. Looking down at their son’s beautiful eyes, we could see an ocean of happiness.

This contrast helped my cousins out. They would look with pain at him – true – but there now was a happiness, a twinkle in their eye, that only could be explained by the love between loved ones. My cousins’ courage from that night has helped me this past year. They have shown me that there may be death but there is hope too. I only hope that I can help you recognize that even though months before my second cousin was born, they knew that he might not live. They gave him a chance, a chance that others might not even give another unborn child.

I believe a life is not just for living but for living it out. Live it to believe that some day you can show happiness to another. Live it for those whose chance was taken from them so young in life. Live it for them so that we may have dreams, hopes, and a tomorrow. Every day, I believe my cousins live their lives for their son in hopes that one day they will be united once again.