I Believe In Diversity

Laura - Salt Lake City, Utah
Themes: humanism

The United States has a rich variety of cultures, races, and religions. Growing up on the East Coast I was surrounded by a diverse people. I believe diversity is important because it makes our communities stronger, and our culture more robust. Every culture, every religion brings their own characteristics to the table. These characteristics include passion, responsibility, openness, empathy, generosity, creativity, courage and integrity. These are things that unify our communities and they create a platform upon which we can flourish off one another. As we reach adulthood we hope to experience new ideas, new challenges, and, importantly, new people, basically what it comes down to is variety is the spice of life. I believe diversity should be celebrated everyday. What a joy it is that we are not all the same! I grew to love the diversity in the East and realized that diversity is not just a matter of race; diversity is a matter of people as individuals. A group of people may look the same and yet still have a lot of diversity may it be religion, background etc. Life is rich when it includes you involving yourself with people who are different then you are. These are reasons I believe in diversity.