Racial Equality

Adrienne - Olney, Maryland
Themes: equality, race

I believe in racial equality. A person cannot choose with what tone his or her skin is created, just as he or she cannot govern any of the laws of nature. There was a time in our history where almost all men and women of color were segregated. It still happens in some places today. The question is: why? Why does this occur? Americans, Indians, Asians, Africans, Hispanics: we all are human. We start as babies and grow into adolescents who then mature into adults, and then we have our own babies. Yes, we are all individuals, and beautifully different in our personalities. But when it comes down to it, we are all human beings who develop in physical, cognitive, emotional, sexual, and social ways, and have many of the same needs. We all have families, make choices, hold values, and fall in love… no matter what culture we live in. What makes any of us one bit different from each other apart from the color of our skin?

Throughout history, most Americans have strived for equality, while others have strived to hold back those who were different. Many of these examples can be seen centered around Native Americans, the Chinese, women, homosexuals, and especially blacks. Slavery, in my opinion, occurred during one of the most dehumanizing periods in American history. Human beings were tortured, raped, and slaughtered. They were separated from their families, and worked to the bone with little food or sleep. And for what reason? They were black.

The United States is the land of opportunity, land of equality, land of freedom. Equality means that all people are created equal and deserve the same rights as one another. It does not mean that all white men are created equal and can discriminate against anyone who looks different on the outside. We are lucky to live in a country where such diversity exists. Color may only be skin deep, but pride—for one’s self, one’s heritage, one’s color—runs through and through.

Every plant and every animal was born on this Earth as a part of the natural cycle, and if all people were intended to look the same, they would. Every person reserves the same right to inhabit this Earth, and thus deserves the same privileges as his or her neighbor, whether that neighbor is white or black.

History has already seen enough hurt and anguish. Why not leave a history full of love and encouragement for future generations, as opposed to one laden with hate and fear? Humans have the capability to work together toward a common goal, and that goal should be to make the world a more accepting, loving place.