I believe in growing up

Sarah - Platteville, Colorado

I believe in growing up. No matter what little kid you talk to, almost every one of them will tell you that they want to grow up or what they want to be when they grow up.

I have to admit I was one of those little kids a couple years ago. I could not wait to grow up, but I found out quickly that growing up, the way I did was not very fun at all. 3 years ago, I had major knee surgery and had to really grow up fast so that I could deal with it.

This was not a fun time because it was my 8th grade year and it was the first week of volleyball, our first game was in one week. I was finally getting to play the position I always wanted to and I had a coach that I really liked. I could feel it this was going to be a good year for me and for my team because I felt like I could really help them out.

Needless to say a week before our first game I went up for a hit and when I came down and tried to step back, I couldn’t. I didn’t think anything of it but when I tried to stand up it hurt so bad I couldn’t even stand up so I lay there on the floor crying.

About 2 months later I had surgery, it turns out I completely tore my ACL and tore one of my meniscuses pretty bad but they other one was only torn a little. I went to all of my team’s practices and games, the only one I missed was tournaments, but it was ok because they took first just like I knew they could.

Because of this I had to grow up really fast so that I could deal with this. I had to go through a really big surgery when I was only 13 and I had to be focused and determined that I would get back on that volleyball court by next season, it was going to be high school ball. Every day for the first 2 weeks I had to rehab my knee every single hour, I could have just given up on that and said that I would work harder later, but I didn’t I pushed through the pain for those 2 weeks and even after that when I had to work my legs out every other day in they gym.

I knew I had to work hard for what I wanted, and it really paid off in the end. Since my freshmen year I have suited up for Varsity and have gone to state with them and lettered. At the time I didn’t think that I would ever play volleyball again, but I knew that it was what I wanted to do so I pushed myself to grow up and work hard so that I could be the best that I could be.