Everyday Is A Miracle

Annie - Leawood, Kansas

An old Chinese Proverb states, “The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.” I believe in miracles. I believe life is the greatest and biggest miracle of all. It’s waking up in the morning and knowing that God has blessed me with another day to breathe fresh air and feel the warmth of the sun. Life is the ultimate gift, that’s why they call it the present.

It’s in the newborn babies, the innocence, love, and wide eyes of joy and hope that show me the true meaning of a miracle. Everyday approximately 115,000 babies are murdered by abortion. Murdered by those who were given the chance to experience the miracle of life, these innocent lives were not given a chance themselves. The number of miracles I feel we have lost in this world is sadly, a number far beyond my imagining. What truly happens in the joining of a man and a woman is something I feel is indescribable. How do you put into words what, together, a man and woman create?

Miracles to me are the daily little things that are so often taken for granted. A place to live, water, food, an education, a tree that grows, the flowers that bloom, the rain that comes when I need it the most, my truly amazing family, my wonderful friends, and the tough, but rewarding road God has given me. I believe that every minute of my everyday is one more miracle God has bestowed on me. I have a blessed life, so to live my life without gratitude, when there are others with much less, would be wasting my miracle. As Albert Einstein once said, “There are two ways to live your life: One, as if nothing is a miracle, or two, as if everything is a miracle.”

Everything happens for a reason and those very things, I believe, are miracles. Jared was going to be a priest, devoting his life to God. It was one bad decision that led to his death on September 16, 2005. Jared was loved by so many, including myself. He was always like another big brother to me. For five years, he was the watchful eye over me at summer camp. He was always looking out for me; he always had my back, and always gave the best advice. He always knew when something was wrong and always knew the right thing to say. He was always the one I could run to when it seemed no one else cared. While his death has caused great sadness over the years, I know that he died for a reason. He died to keep watch over me and all those he loved that he left behind. Keeping a safe watch over all of us, he protects us daily and that is a miracle.

“Miracles happen everyday, change your perception of what a miracle is and you’ll see them all around you.”