I Believe in Music

Jana - Provo, Utah

I believe in music.

I believe in the flowing, rhythmic movement of music. Not necessarily the lyrics, although they are important, too. I believe that the music itself, the wavering melodies and the beat, can change a person, if only for a moment. Music is so powerful. It can create emotions and feelings that otherwise would be left undiscovered.

Music is my escape; it always has been. I was singing before I could talk, and I was picking out melodies on the piano before I was tall enough to actually see the keys. I guess it’s because it is the best way for me to display my own emotions. I’ve never been good with words, in writing or in public speaking. I often tell people that I would much rather sing a song in front of a crowd than give a speech. It’s because I can explain myself more fully through a simple melody than by fumbling through a flood of adjectives and nouns and verbs, trying to make myself heard.

I also believe that music defines a person. I believe that the type of music a person listens to helps that person to grow into their personality, their likes and dislikes. Music influences the way a person dresses and the way they speak. You’ve got your country lovers, your pop styles, your indie kids, and your classical enthusiasts. Each genre of music opens up an entire world for each person.

I believe that music is a way for a person to discover themselves. I have been learning to discover myself through music through the years, and as my music taste changes, so does my personality and style. Each song I listen to is just adding to my own story; each melody I hear opens a new door and new possibilities to explore.

I believe in music.